A Character Certificate is a form of identification issued by the Indian Government to an individual or organization. “The certificate shows the name of the person, his date and place of birth, his father’s name, mother’s name, address and caste/community”.
In legal terms a character certificate can also mean ‘a complete description’ or ‘portrayal’ of all details about an individual’s habits and behavior in both public and private life by witnesses who testify as to whether they have ever seen that person do anything contrary to good deeds and moral principles. In Western law it is called “character evidence” and in India we call it “vakilsopan”. Vakil means lawyer in Hindi.
The above article gives a great explanation regarding the usage of character certificates in India; however we are not lawyers or law students nor will we try to give any legal advice here!
What we would like to do is provide you with few basic tips on how you can obtain your desired character certificate from an experience vakil . We hope that some or all these tips can help you get your needed character certificate. This section knowledge glow will cover how many documents are required for getting this certificate besides what type of information should be mentioned about yourself when applying for this document. So let’s start…
What is a character certificate?
A character certificate is a document that certifies the good conduct and integrity of an individual. It is a formal letter from a person who has known you for some time (a friend, family member etc.) and states that they have no reason to believe that you would make any false statements on your application form. This means it can help employers decide whether or not to hire someone based on their past history in employment or as a student at university.
A character certificate should always be used together with other documents such as references and certificates showing qualifications achieved during school/college years.
When do you need a character certificate?
You should get one if:
- You want to apply for a job. If your character is questioned by the employer, he or she could deny you the chance at employment. Character certificates are also required when applying for loans and other financial products like mortgages and credit cards.
- You want to travel outside of Canada or study abroad in another country (with exceptions). If there’s any question about whether or not your application will be accepted based on previous actions or behavior, getting a character certificate will alleviate most concerns before they occur.
- You’re applying for citizenship through naturalization process at Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). This requires an applicant’s complete history be verified against immigration records prior to issuing citizenship documents such as passports and birth certificates; this process can take up-to five years depending on how fast CIC receives applications from potential candidates who meet eligibility criteria established by law governing naturalization eligibility requirements.”
Who Can Provide A Character Certificate?
A character certificate can be issued by a friend, relative or employer. It is also possible to receive one from a government official. The person who issues your character certificate should be someone who has known you for a long time and can vouch for your character.
Format of a character certificate
- The name of the applicant
- The name of the person who is issuing the certificate
- The date of issue. If you have more than one character certificate, then make sure that each one has a different date.
- Name of person receiving certificate: This is usually your bank or financial institution where you are asking for their assistance in issuing a letter/certificate. Your bank’s address should also be mentioned here along with their phone number so that they can contact them if necessary.
How to write a character certificate?
It is very important that you include the following information in your application:
- Your full name and address (street, apartment number).
- The date and place of birth of each applicant.
- The reason for the application (to obtain or renew a passport).
- A copy of both parents’ passports. If their names are not on these documents but they were born in China , please provide copies of their ID cards/passports and birth certificates as well as other supporting documentation to prove citizenship before applying for a Chinese citizen’s certificate through our normal channels.”
Points to Remember While Writing The Application
- Write the letter in a formal way
- Use a formal salutation
- State the purpose of the letter
- State the facts clearly and concisely, including all relevant details about your application (e.g., date applied for, applicant name, etc.)
- Use simple language – avoid complex expressions or jargon; do not use abbreviations unless you have been asked to do so by an official body or organization!
Things To Mention In The Application Letter For Character Certificate
- Name of the person for whom the certificate is being requested.
- Name of the person who is requesting the certificate.
- Purpose of the certificate.
- Date on which it is to be issued (if any).
A formal request for a character certificate is the best way to obtain this certificate.
A formal request is the best way to obtain a character certificate. You can write a formal request letter or email to them from whom you want your character certified, or call them and ask for it directly.
Example Application Letters for a Character Certificate
To writing a letter expressing your requirement for a character certificate might be a little tricky. Here we are provide some example character certificate application letters that you can refer to when you sit down to write one on your own.
Application Letter Requesting a Character Certificate from College for Higher Studies
Subject: Character Certificate for Higher Studies
I am writing this letter to request you to provide me with a character certificate for higher studies. I have been a student of your college for the past two years and have been an active member of the college community. I have always been a responsible student and have never been involved in any disciplinary issue.
I am applying for a higher degree programme at XYZ University and I need a character certificate from my college in order to complete my application. I would be very grateful if you could provide me with the certificate as soon as possible.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Character Certificate Application Letter for Scholarship
Subject: Character Certificate for Scholarship
I am _ (student’s name), studying in (class and section). I have been a student of your school since _ (joining date). I am applying for a scholarship and for that, I need a character certificate from your side. I request you to please issue me the character certificate at the earliest.
I shall be highly obliged.
Class and Section
Example Application for character certificate for gap year students
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter is to certify that [Student’s Name] is a gap year student in good standing. [He/She] has been a full-time student at [Name of School] since [Date], and is currently enrolled in [Number] credit hours.
[Student’s Name] is a bright and motivated individual, who has always been a pleasure to have in class. [He/She] is a good role model for other students, and is always willing to help out. I have no doubt that [he/she] will be successful in whatever [he/she] chooses to do.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [Phone Number] or [Email Address].
We hope that this blog post has given you an understanding of what a character certificate is and how to apply for one. We believe that anyone who wants to learn more about this topic should read our other blog posts which cover different aspects such as why do you need one, when do you need one, who can provide one.
Frequently Asked Questions on Application For Character Certificate
Question 1: Is character certificate necessary for admission?
A character certificate may be required for admission to some schools or programs. Check with the school or program to see if a character certificate is required.
Question 2: What is conduct and character certificate?
Answer. A conduct and character certificate is a document that is issued by an organization or individual in order to attest to the good character and conduct of an individual.
Question 3: Do colleges provide character certificate?
Answer. Of course they do.
Most colleges provide a character certificate to their students.
Question 4: Is character certificate important for job?
Answer. Yes it is necessary.
Because it certifies that the person is of good character and is trustworthy.
Question 5: Is character certificate valid for 6 months?
Answer. The validity of character certificate is only 6 months.
Question 6: Who issues a character certificate?
Answer. A character certificate is usually issued by an employer, a school, or a character reference.